Friday, March 5, 2010

Dance!

Yes, it was magnificent! When I saw the Alvin Ailey dancers for the first time five years ago, the word I used to describe their movement was exquisite. Nothing has changed. The works we saw this evening were titled, Hymn, Episodes, and the famous Reflections. Reflections is still my favorite. I think it's because of the spirituals the dancers dance to; it could be the southern roots feel of it. Most assuredly it is the type of modern dance that allows for the most exquisite expression.

My favorite piece was "Fix Me Jesus" pictured here...
Between the words of the song, and the grace and strength of this pair, I was emotional by the end of the piece. If you get a chance to see this company, I would highly recommend it. Make sure they are performing Reflections in their repertoire. It is beyond description.

2 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

I didn't know you went to see that. That looks so cool. And I'm jealous I'll never be able to do the splits like that.

Jenny said...

That looks amazing!