Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Eve

We had tacos for dinner with some cute little bottles of Martinelli's. That seemed to make it festive. Ever since our extended family exited CA, we've been sort of floundering with Christmas Eve traditions. We manage a dinner, but it's not always the same food. I guess it's good that we make it a little festive no matter what. We miss our Christmas Eve with family so much; I still think about our gatherings every year.

One thing I still do, late at night (or early in the morning, depending on my level of organization from year-to-year), is to turn off all the lights and sit on the sofa to gaze at the tree before going to bed. It's always such a beautiful sight no matter how we've decorated, real tree or fake. At once I remember my childhood anticipation of Christmas morning as well as marvel at the presents around the tree and how blessed we are.  I sit in the stillness, and my heart is full of gratitude not only for the sight in front of me, but for my Savior and His birth.

No comments: