Monday, March 30, 2009

From Learning to Action

This morning's reading of President Eyring's quote jump started me into action.  I have wanted to be better at Family Home Evening lessons for some time.  You should see my office.  I have a file drawer filled with lesson ideas and materials.  I guess I keep thinking that when my life is in order, I'll pull it all out and have some great lessons.  That kind of thinking is getting me no where fast!  

So this afternoon, I pulled The Friend and scanned for lesson ideas.  I prepared one of the ideas for our Family Night lesson.  It contained looking up and pulling information from the scriptures as a part of the lesson.  We had prayer together, a lesson on the blessings we receive because of the Savior's Atonement, and review of a couple of our Primary songs.  Here's the kicker...because we prepared and did tonight the way it was designed to be done, we were  able to get the kids their dessert, get their teeth brushed, remember to have them lay out their clothes and get them tucked them in before 9:00 p.m. And did I mention that all of this was accomplished on top of spending a couple of hours at the Discovery Center after school?   There was a calm feeling to all of this instead of the hectic rush of trying to throw together a spiritual thought and hurriedly trying to get them ready for bed with the feeling that another day had slipped by without the important things being accomplished.

I know we were blessed today because I prepared an appropriate gospel-centered Family Night lesson.  I was able to spend time with my girls after school, get home in time to have dinner together as a family (thanks to Kelly getting it prepared while we were on the road), and have the evening go really smoothly.  There is no doubt in my mind that this whole afternoon and evening was a blessing from a Heavenly Father who blessed me for my efforts.

In case you are wondering, my house is still a cluttery mess.  Not caring too much at the moment.  I'll clean it up tomorrow.  I'm exponentially happier that we cracked open our scriptures tonight than I would have been about my clean house with no time left for scripture reading.  

4 comments:

~yoga~ said...

It is worth it. We studied Walking in the Light for FHE last night. And as tears ran down Katie's face...I was able to explain to her that the Holy Ghost was witnessing to her heart. It is an amazing talk about Walking in the Light of Christ. And how choices we make each day affect that light. It is an excellent read. It was inspired by your post yesterday. So, thank you. For helping me along!

Kathy Habel said...

Yeah! Thanks for your inspiration. We assembled our 72 hours kits last night. I learned I no longer have enough usable backpacks for eveyone so I need to get some more.

jess said...

good for you melissa. i sooo need to be better at this. we try and wing it all the time (especially since owen pays no attention anyways) and it just lacks in lustre if you know what i mean. thanks for the reminder to be better.

Katie said...

That is so awesome Melissa. I love the blessings that come from doing things like this. I realized last night while reading scriptures w/ my little ones, that sometimes when I may feel it's a hassle to do fhe as I don't think my kids are paying attention (since they're little), that they really are. After scripture study my four year old had to get his bom and tell us a story about Nephi. It was so touching!! Little spiritual moments really do have a long lasting effect on our kids and us as a family.
You're such a great Mom!