Sunday, April 19, 2009

Why Mom Deserves A Diamond

Several weeks ago, unbeknownst to me, my daughter submitted a piece of writing to a contest called, "Why My Mom Deserves a Diamond".  The entries were to be exactly 25 words.  There were 30,000 entries, two diamond winners, and another 6,000 winners who would receive either an amethyst or a garnet stone.  Heather's writing was chosen as a winner, and we were invited to go and pick up our garnet on Friday.  I was really proud of her, and we had a great time going to pick up the prize.

Here is her poem and certificate...
She will never let me down.  She feeds me and loves me.  She plays with me.  She tucks me into bed.  Yes, she is my mom.

Here we are in the jewelry store after choosing the stone...

And here is my garnet, all the way from Africa.  Heather was allowed to choose from several stones, and the value of the stone is around $40


6 comments:

Angie Haas said...

How wonderful! I am so proud of Heather and so excited for you! What a beautiful memory I know you will forever treasure! Miss you!

Michelle Blair said...

That is so neat! How special. Good job Heather! Good job Mel for your part on Heather feeling that way!

Kathy Habel said...

Awesome! What a great memory that will be.

Kristie K. said...

What a sweet daughter! And how special is that gift from her. I know you will treasure it and her forever....

Katie said...

That is so beautiful and what a wonderful treasured memory you guys have from this.

Unknown said...

To Heather’s mom, I apologize for being nine years late to respond, but I wanted to say I hope you and Heather had a great time at Gallery of Diamonds. We have since moved to a larger location in a Santa Ana. Heathers wonderful words will last forever. Please stay in touch with me. Diamond Mike Watson, founder of the Why Mom Deserves a Diamond contest.