Sunday, November 14, 2010

Preparation and Mastery

Melissa, April 2009
Photo by Jenna


It has been difficult of late to find time to blog. We are each currently immersed in various pursuits requiring practice and dedication all of which take gobs of time. It was recently pointed out to me by a master-level musician that there is no one of us who is going to be able to achieve master level status at anything in our lives with only an hour a week of practice. Although this appears to be common sense, I am guilty of desiring master level status and only putting in the hour a week. I am getting good experience right now putting in some hard work to achieve the results required, and I'm grateful for this latest lightbulb moment. It came at a time when I am working on some difficult music, both choral and instrumental, and at a time when I really need to show my girls, by example, what it takes to master something.

After the next few weeks pass and some of the challenging music is 'mastered', I intend to apply this to other areas of my life. Home management, organization, scripture study, healthy living...these are all areas where I need to apply more dedication and practice. It is a tiny bit embarrassing that I don't have this concept of preparation and dedication down, but again, I am in a place of gratitude that the Lord has allowed me time to learn. There is still hope for me!

1 comment:

Sheryl Mosher said...

This is exactly where I am. I am calling my crusade "the act of being thorough," and I plan on blogging about this soon. Hopefully today. See my other comment for my blogging anxiety! :) We must be masters of our craft and strive to excel at the gifts we have been given. I am with you on that. Be thorough. Be masterful. It is such great advice.