Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Recognition


On Tuesday morning, we planned to pick Heather up from school around 9:00AM because nothing much was going on.  I was running a little late, and it was a good thing!  In a 7th grade assembly that morning, Heather was honored with two awards.  The first was for "Excellence in History" presented by her awesome History teacher, and the second was for "Overall Effort" presented by the Principal and Assistant Principal.  Heather was shocked!  Heather doesn't receive achievement awards...ever.  This was a complete surprise to her, and I think she is still recovering from the surprise.

One might think that I am understandably bragging--I'm her mom, right?  It's hard to explain that my wanting to stand on the roof top and shout this news out loud does not stem from parental pride.  I am, of course, very proud of Heather, but more than that, I want to explain to everyone how marvelous and miraculous these awards are.  In sixth grade (or any time before that) the thought of Heather ever being recognized academically was ludicrous (you've heard me lament about what skills are valued in public education).  I want to shout praises for a school filled with teachers who recognize effort and achievement that isn't always rooted in perfect test scores and exceptional academic skill.  Heather's grades are actually pretty good (3.75 GPA), but she has been recognized this year for her creativity, insight and effort.  She has been encouraged and praised and has felt valued by her teachers.  This girl needed a year like this, and I realize I've been waiting for this year to show up for a really long time!  I am so, so happy for Heather that I can't stop smiling.  She is so wonderful--we have always known that.  I am so glad that she is, for the first time, beginning to believe that she might just have some chops.

Go Heather!

No comments: