Saturday, September 9, 2017

Orientation Day and Good-byes

After spending the night with the Holbrooks at their auntie's house (which saved us hotel money and was very appreciated), we headed over to orientation day.  We checked Heather in, got her I-card and textbooks, and then had lunch in the Crossroads before breaking off.  The students met in their assigned groups, and the parents went to pay tuition as well as attend a special introduction meeting. Later on, we met back with our students to hear a brief presentation by President and Sister Eyring. After all of the official stuff was done, Heather wanted to walk the campus and see where her classes were. We walked the entire campus from class to class and then explored the grounds. There is a lovely woodsy area near the Hinckley Building where horticultural/architectural students have designed vignette's over the years to create a beautiful, peaceful horticultural area. We took a TON of pictures, but I just posted a few high lights here.  We eventually had to head to Idaho Falls to do some winter shoe purchasing when we heard that it often starts snowing in winter.  We had dinner at Cafe Rio (yes, it is really good although the lines are long), and then purchased hiking boots and snow boots for Heather.

As tomorrow is student only orientation, it was time for me to say good-bye.  We drove back to Rexburg and took Heather's purchases up to her room. She walked me back down to the car, and the tears started for both of us. I love this girl so much and will miss her so much. But she is in such good hands, in a safe and beautiful place.  I sat in the car for a few minutes mapping out my drive to Lehi when I got a text that she needed some more love. We spent some more time reassuring and hugging, and then we called home for a prayer with Dad. That helped a lot. She was stronger then, and I had to get on the road. I arrived in Lehi after a hairy four hours on the road where I think I started to fall a sleep with my eyes open, and I was so grateful to Shelly's mom for having a couch for me to sleep on.  I was so grateful to make it there in one piece and to have had so many days with Heather as we got her all set. She is going to do an amazing job at school.

No comments: