Monday, October 7, 2013

Sunrise and General Conference Take Aways


Heather and I walked out to leave for Seminary this morning and saw this sunrise.  Had we been even three minutes later, we would have missed it as it was gone by the time we finished taking pictures and got in the car.  The second photo was zoomed in a bit to catch how the light was hitting the clouds from underneath.  These are not touched up; the color was breathtaking.

It was General Conference weekend!  As usual, we missed some of it on Saturday due to soccer, and I snacked way too much, but I also took notes like I've tried to do for the past several years.  It helps focus me, keep me awake, and cause me to be more in tune with the Spirit.  One of the speakers even mentioned taking notes in just the way I've experienced taking them--sometimes I jot down the topic or a phrase that means something to me, and sometimes I am inspired to make some personal notes to myself about ways that I can personally improve something in my life.  I have a binder of these notes, and I will look over them now and then specifically for a reminder of those personal notes in the margin.  This weekend there were three specific things that I took away and want to remember--of course there were many more things I will ponder later, but these three were zingers.

•  Becoming "one" takes time (in reference to marriage) - Henry B. Eyring

I think a lot of people give up before they see this happen.  Somehow we think that we automatically become "one" just because we get married.  We're on year 27, and I see the oneness more now than ever, BUT we are still progressing and have some path to travel yet.

•  Make spiritual development of family members a high priority - Richard G. Scott

This is a priority for us, but sometimes it slips down the ladder.  I loved this reminder.

•  Our body was created as a gift by God to you...How you use your body affects your spirit - Russell M. Nelson

This was probably the biggest lightbulb of the whole conference for me.  We don't think of unhealthy eating as something of large concern like we might a substance addiction.  But I was reminded that when I am eating right and exercising, I can better connect with my spiritual self and overcome some of the barriers to accomplishing things in my daily life.  The opposite is true when I do not eat well and fail to be active...I am more easily overwhelmed and discouraged because I feel lousy about myself and my choices.  The Adversary must know this about me because body image and self-acceptance have been issues my whole life.  Healthy living feels better and I know it is because of the boundaries that are set and the self mastery that is required to accomplish this style of living.  Both boundaries and self-mastery are in accordance with the things our Father in Heaven wants for us.

What a great conference.  I am excited to take my notes, review them and make some goals.  If you don't know how to get in and comment on the blog, email me and tell me what your favorite messages were from Conference.  I would love to hear about them.

No comments: