Monday, February 16, 2015

The Selfie Generation

Our girls are definitely being raised in the "selfie generation." We find so many selfies (mostly of Jenna) on our photo stream that putting them all on the blog would cost us a fortune.

What is it about snapping a photo of ourselves and posting it. There are times when I think Jen has very little self esteem, as do many of her middle school, female peers, with all the comparing they do. But then she'll post a selfie as if she is super confident.  Go figure. Is it because she thinks she looks great (which she does), or because she wants what she wishes for herself to be affirmed by her peers? So far comments are positive. Perhaps if I weighed less I would snap more photos of myself (I partook in this photo shoot to be a "fun mom"). I guess I take a lot of pictures which, while they don't say, "Look at me!" they do seem to say, "Look at what I/we/my kids did!"  I'm not sure how this insta-photo generation will grow from here, but it's certainly not anything we had growing up. It's nice to see snapshots of the lives of my friends and family, especially those I don't see often. I know it's their "best" being put forward, and I do that too. We kind of teeter on the edge of the cliff as comparison is the fast track to discouragement.  We'll have to keep a sharp eye out and educate our children on the pitfalls of technology because the posting/social media trend doesn't seem to be slowing down.  It can be a tool for good or for bad. We have to find the balance.  I'm sure I'll post more about this in the future.

No comments: