Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Visiting Vernon, AZ


July 25-28   After a very busy month, we were able to fit in a trip to Vernon, AZ to visit Aunt Kathy and Uncle Chuck and to meet up with Joanna, Kasey, Aunt Michelle and Gavin. We arrived to a beautiful double rainbow and had a sweet reunion. We three cousins snapped a photo to recreate one from a few years ago (the new one is in color).  Our cousins are like our siblings, and we have so much fun with them. Aunt Kathy and Uncle Chuck are gracious hosts feeding us, putting gas in the quads and facilitating any adventure we're up for. We love their property, and it's a place that is special to Heather and Jenna as they've grown up visiting at least once a year since Aunt Kathy and Uncle Chuck moved.

When I look back at all I personally did this month (Anime Expo, Comic Con, packing for Kolob, working at my dad's place for three days, making Heather's birthday special for her, Phantom the night before and all of the other regular day-to-day things that we do), I am not surprised that my body gave out. We drove to Vernon on the first day of my cycle (TMI), and I usually have a migraine for a day or two. Driving 10 hours after all the other things I did this month took a toll. My migraine meds only lasted about 6 hours (usually they're good for 24). I had other pain meds, but they weren't working. I was a mess. Except for the day we had our adventure with zip lining and quad riding, I was in bed in a quiet room waiting for meds to kick in or time to pass.  I listened to everyone having fun and I hated it, but I was so miserable that I couldn't join in. It made me think about my mom and how much she missed because of her headaches that were so bad, and she didn't have meds. There was nothing I could do about this, but I hated being the one "in bed" missing life.

I was grateful for Sunday when I was able to be up and about for a few hours. We took the kids to my aunt's friend's property where they have installed a zip line.  The kids took a few turns each pulling the swing up the hill and zipping down. I took mostly video of that so Kelly could see. Back at the house we rode quads for awhile which was super fun.  I'm grateful I got that time with my sister and cousins.

On the day we were supposed to depart, we said good bye to everyone, but I was still in a lot of pain. I didn't want to drive home that way because I knew it would be unsafe. I rested while Aunt Kathy played checkers with Jenna, Heather played every hymn in the hymn book on the piano I took lessons on, and the girls swung in the hammock. The day of rest was needed, and although I wasn't 100%, we were able to head out the next day. It was slow going as I had to pull over once from being so tired (I don't get a lot of sleep with those headache cycles where I have to gut out the pain), but with prayer and some determination we made it home. We did stop by Little America Hotel to have lunch, and that was super fun. The girls tried open faced turkey sandwiches and really liked them. Here's to new food adventures! Yay!

Although I didn't get to visit much with my family, I did get some in. I am mostly grateful that the girls got to have this time with their family and make some more memories. Can't wait til next time. I'll know not to push myself after this experience and take it easy before traveling.


No comments: