Thursday, January 6, 2011

In A Word - Year 2



What an adventure filled year 2010 was! I successfully recovered from an appendectomy, hiked in Yosemite, and became the mom of a Middle School child. We expect that 2011 will be just as full of adventures!

At this time last year, I bypassed New Year's Resolution making and went for an idea I had picked up from my friends at BLOOM. It was all about choosing a word for the year that exemplified a concept that was important my life. I chose the word Mindful. That word was a perfect choice as I had spent the better part of 2009 remembering to choose the better part, and then continued in 2010 being conscious and aware of the areas in my life needing improvement. That was just what I needed to be doing.

As this year begins, I find that I need to get moving...on everything. I have refined my decision making and given lots of thought to the good things I need to be doing, however, I have been really lagging in the action part of accomplishment.

The word I've chosen is f o c u s. I am in need of a verb for my year, but because I tend to get overwhelmed as I see everything that needs doing, and I see it all at one time, I need to narrow the field of vision a bit. As I move into this year, my focus will be moving and doing, but I will practice focusing on specific things rather than insanely attempting to multi task. I'd like my days to be filled with single, accomplishable goals. One goal at a time is what I need to begin to see some real progress. I will most likely have more than one goal operating as the year progresses, but as I add each goal, I will give each new goal some serious thought and consideration so that it will get the focus it requires for me to complete the task. For me, focusing on finishing is where it's at. I love the Latin definition, "domestic hearth." What better place to focus my attention than right here at home?

p.s. Scroll down for 25 in 2010

3 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

That is a very good word. I shall use that too. I didn't even see your 25 list of things. I'm glad you did some of them with me. :)

Unknown said...

{focus} that's a good one!! i definitely need to do that more! my word for 2011 is {thankful}. it's just hard to have a bad attitude when you are being thankful...don't ya think??
thanks for sharing friend!

melissa

Sheryl Mosher said...

I love your new word. I think I'm going to stay with my 2010 word: thorough. I need to complete tasks thoroughly so that I feel the accomplishment of a job well done and don't leave projects have undone (I could use some focus).