Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Will Blog For Comments

It's happening. Even though I blog for the purpose of journaling our family life (adding in a few random tidbits here and there), and I never thought it would matter if anyone commented or not. But for some reason, when you see 0 comments for long enough it just happens. You wonder why. I'm sure it's because 1) my blog friends are leading busy lives and haven't had time to post 2) friends and/or family members don't know how to leave a comment (but they do sometimes email me, which I really love) or 3) people fall in and out of love with blogs. It's so weird how doubt can creep in, take root, and grow a whole entire garden.

So while I was having this pity party (which I'm really not), I read this on Marta Writes and decided that I've really been having blog envy which makes for very fertile doubt-persistent soil. I do not blog like these beautiful, cute, young, talented, highly creative moms. Just knowing that Marta could put my feelings into words so perfectly tells me that many suffer from the same thing.

"the crappy parts of blogging come in a number of forms; i will name a few. you are fearful about putting yourself out there. you feel greedy; you want what they have. you care too much of what others may think. you don't get any comments. you can't think up anything original to post about. you copy and paste everything onto your own blog. you are inspired by others but feel that you cannot possibly inspire others. you get sucked into everyone else's life. you are green with envy. you have unreal assumptions about bloggers. you start thinking everyone is more successful, talented, and all around better than you are. sound familiar??

if you start down this path, you'll begin to imagine that
you are the only blogger who cannot cook, who cannot scrapbook, who cannot modge podge correctly, who cannot write hilarious memoirs, who cannot reupholster, who cannot be fashionable on a dime, who cannot be a fun mom, a darling wife or a super business woman all at once. and you can certainly not attempt to bake those tiny cupcake balls and dip them into little lollipops with sesame street character featuresthat will be recognizable to your one year old at the party that you are throwing him that better beblogable, or else.

why do we do this? why do we become envious and want to become just like this person or that person. and most of them, people we've never even met in real life. we do not know that they are human. they may even have crooked teeth or large feet or a strange birthmark. we think they are, unlike ourselves, perfect in every way."


I have had a good chuckle and am now prepared to go back to blogging for my own pleasure (and of course, comments are always welcome, tee-hee). If there is anyone I hope to inspire it would be my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. If nothing else they'll know what we did and how we lived and what their wacky mom thought about from time to time.

5 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

I can totally relate to these thoughts. And, although I'm not a consistent commenter, I do read. Blogging for yourself and blogging to connect with others (or for outside validation/comments) is a tough balance to strike. As long as you enjoy it, I think it's worth it.

Ron said...

I LOVE your blog and read very post, checking at least every other day. I am also envious in that in your youth, "blog" would mean someone mispronounced "bog", and computers meant sliderule to techies.
Keep it up, someday it will be shown to your adult children and grandchildren and they will certainly enjoy.
All my Love to family.

Casey Lee said...

I feel the same way, which is why I kind of stopped blogging for awhile because I felt "why bother" then I started up again and realized some people do read my blogs but don't post comments or even have blogs themselves. I realized *I* enjoy blogging, I wish I could keep a handwritten journal to be honest but can never keep up with it. And ps. I read all your blogs! <3

Kathy Habel said...

I've become such a hit and miss blogger! I went from blogging nearly daily to monthly...

When I do check blogs yours is one of the few I do check.

Sheryl Mosher said...

I'm so with you sister! Must get better at blogging and posting comments. Sheesh! :)