Saturday, April 27, 2013

Mormon Helping Hands



April 27th is the official "Mormon Helping Hands" day around the country.  We look for projects in our communities where we can have hundreds of volunteers serving.  I am the most recently called Public Affairs Representative in my little ward, and I had a small part in organizing the project for our Huntington Beach Stake.  We had five wards at our Mile Square Park project as well as volunteers from Saint Simon and Jude Catholic Church and a few community services folks.   There were close to 500 volunteers that came between the hours of 8:00AM and 1:00PM, and we were able to clear weeds,  dig holes, plant and mulch a large area of the park.  This is such a great community event, and we look forward to it every year.  Many things worked in our family's favor for this event which until the day before were looking a little stressful, although doable--I was not overly taxed after our rehearsal, recording and concert the evening before, and Heather's volleyball game got moved to the afternoon at the last minute allowing Kelly to take Jenna to soccer in the morning.  Last year's PA representative was able to relieve me late morning so that I could be free to meet my family for Heather's tournament.  I tell ya, things work out when we're serving the Lord!

No comments: