Saturday, November 9, 2013

Kelly Turns 50!

We had dinner at Marie Callendar's for Kelly's birthday.  No, that isn't his favorite restaurant, and yes I may have blown that part, but the choice was well-intended.  I reserved the dining room that seats 10-12 and is very secluded.  Then I secretly invited four couples who I thought Kelly would enjoy spending time with, and the surprise dinner was on.  Unfortunately, one of the couples couldn't make it, so I invited a two other couples just in case.  Those last two are very busy families, but I did what I could to fill the party.  We arrived at dinner and saw one of the couples walking to the door which kind of looked suspicious.  Then the waitress wouldn't seat us until "more of the party" arrived.  Ugh!  Surprise much? The cat was out of the bag.  If they had just taken us back to the dining room, the girl would have seen that there our friends were already seated.  Oh well.  We lost another couple right after that via text, and just as I was contemplating giving up the dining room for a larger party (and feeling bummed that my surprise flopped), one of the guys from the last set of couples I invited walked in.  Yay!  He left his wife to hold down the fort so he could run over.  About ten minutes after that, another guy from the last set of couples invited walked in.  He left his event for a few minutes so he could run over and say hi.  Then the couple that canceled via text was able to send her husband over.  Our table ended up being full, and I was so thankful to these guys who left their busy evenings to come and show Kelly he was important to them.  My husband IS important, and I hope he felt the love.  Now I'll have to spend a few weeks planning date nights at his favorite restaurants to make up for my restaurant blunder, but that's fine.  We need some more date nights anyway.  As for presents, Kelly has a new iPhone that he digs, so the girls and I got him a couple of funny gifts.  We're Duck Dynasty watchers and have laughed over the antics of the crazy uncle, Si, so I picked up his book.  The t-shirt was a find in our hotel gift shop in Zion.  Perfect for an "old guy" who's young at heart.  We hope to have him around for another 50 years.  Happy Birthday honey!

No comments: