Friday, December 2, 2016

Light The World

The church had a campaign going this month called, "Light The World." I did well on the first day making cookies for Jenna's coach gift, and as well on day two posting about a family member or ancestor who has left a legacy.  Here is what I said about my dad...

This is my dad on his wedding day. He was working at Autonetics in Anaheim and within two years would begin his career at Hughes Aircraft as an engineer. He worked there until retiring (never met Howard Hughes), and he worked on the Apollo project as well as many other top-level security projects. My dad was an Auburn University graduate who put himself through college. He was and is a southern gentleman and taught me a lot about hard work, manners and loyalty. He went to work every day and sacrificed a lot for his family. He was a track star, played baseball, football and loved playing cards and games. I learned in my adult years that I get my sentimental side from him, and he makes the most of every moment by being with family for special occasions. Now that he's closer in proximity, he comes to church with us each week just to be with us. My children don't know the man he was, but I remember, and I try to share his story so that they know their grandpa better.

No comments: