Monday, June 22, 2009

Beware Of The Time Bandit!

No, I'm not anti-computer, but I can see where an hour can turn into six really easily!  My girls were so excited to get up today and...play video games.  Gah!  I used to be excited to get up and go ride my bike or play with my Barbies at their age.  

So last week, when I couldn't do anything about it, I could see that video game time was going to become a problem.  What better babysitter can you find?  They are occupied, and the best part is there's no mess!  I know I can so easily get sucked right into this plan, but I also know I will have tons of remorse later for not attempting to teach some moderation.  Now that the concert is over, I have tons to do, but I am starting out fresh this week with the video time.  I told my girls this morning that they needed to get dressed, brush hair and teeth, do their piano practice and read for 20 mins before we talked video games.  When that was done, I gave them two hours with the lap tops.  They love this Nanosaur game that we've had for awhile.  I tried my best to do shloads of stuff while they were busy, but that two hours went by fast!  I finally shut them down and told them they had to go outside for a couple of hours.  They moaned, but complied.

So how did it go?  I helped them get started with a "snack picnic" where they packed up what they wanted for snacks and went out to the fort to eat.  We cut apples and bagged peanuts.  It was cute to watch Jenna get the backpack ready and make servings for her and Heather.  When I looked out the window a bit later, they had all the umbrellas up in the fort for shade and were munching away and chatting.  After the picnic was done, they wanted to switch to bathing suits and the hose.  That went on for hours.  Then friends showed up and they switched to water balloons and squirt guns.  It was nearly 6:30 p.m. by the time we called it quits and they came in for showers and dinner.  

We did it!  Six and a half full hours of outdoor time using their imaginations.   I am completely thrilled.  We'll see if we can keep it up tomorrow.  I'm working on my own discipline right now staying away from the computer and making myself get laundry washed and put away.  I sorted all the office piles and did the filing and bills today.  It was a good day for me too.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! 

2 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

Great Job! It's so dang hard to keep my kids off the computers, DS, and away from the TV. The time flies by and before you know it they have wasted hours. We started the summer off good but I've kind of fizzled. Time to get back on the limited media wagon.

Michelle Blair said...

Good for you. I know how easy it is the have the babysitting computer, but I am doing really good so far this summer. We have to mix it up.