Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sequels

Did I post about this already? I can't remember. Yesterday I told you about my newest book discovery. I called the two books a "duo". Ha, ha. Yesterday, I also found that the third and fourth novels to this series are due out in the Fall of 2011 and 2012. I'm not sure why I thought I'd found a series that only had two books.

Does anyone write just one or two books anymore? I am always thrilled to have the fun go on and on, but I realized that my children are growing up in a world of sequels. Books and movies all have multiple stories. This fact was driven home last year when Jenna caught the writing bug. She loved to write stories, get a construction paper cover and staple the whole thing together. We have many of these gems lying around. What was funny was when she showed me her first story in "published" form and said, "Now I'm going to start on Book 2 and Book 3!" She wasn't talking about her 2nd and 3rd books, she was talking about the sequels.

I suppose a hundred years ago, people did write their stories in "volumes". I grew up with one story in one book at a time. Maybe the pendulum is swinging like it always does. What will our children do one day when they find out that some people only write one story and put it all in the same book? I wonder if they will like that or want their multiple volumes that they grew up with? Personally, I am good either way. We'll have to wait and see what our kids think in the years to come.

1 comment:

Michelle Blair said...

I do like reading sequels and such because you get into the characters sometimes. The only thing is I hate waiting for them.