Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering September 11, 2001

Ten years ago today, we woke early to get an jump start on our Disneyland trip. My sister was visiting with her son, and my aunt planned to meet us at the front gates. Somewhere in the quiet bustle of the early morning, my husband called and told me to turn on the television. We did not comprehend what we were looking at and sat down to watch and listen. After confirming that Disneyland, and many other places, would not open that day, we sat on the sofa for hours.

I watched the events of that horrible morning grateful that my two-year-old daughter and eleven-month-old nephew were too young to understand what they saw as they toddled in and out of the living room throughout the day. It was impossible for us to comprehend the magnitude of what had taken place. I sat, pregnant with my second daughter, and wondered what kind of world I was bringing her into.

Each year as we mark the of the anniversary of 9/11, I am very appreciative to stop and reflect. We are teaching our growing daughters more each year about freedom, why we enjoy it and the extraordinary men and women who make it possible. They are just old enough to begin to comprehend tragedy and sacrifice, and every year, they understand just a little bit more. We will teach them again this year about the significance of the 9/11 anniversary, and we will remember those men and women who are still battling and sacrificing abroad to protect our freedom.

We will not forget. We cannot forget.

1 comment:

Michelle Blair said...

We were just talking about what we were doing that day. It is one of those you will never forget. We liked how Disneyland wasn't crowded, but was very sad why it wasn't. Love you!