Friday, September 9, 2011

Some Inspiration

As the tenth anniversary of 9/11 approaches, many of us are reflecting and expressing our thoughts. My friend, Amy Henstra, penned the following post on her blog. Her words were so well expressed that I asked her permission to re-post them here. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

The American Flag has always stirred something inside me. Even as a child, I can remember staring at the flag against a bright blue sky and feeling...well, patriotic. Grandfathers on both sides of my family have served and fought in wars. As 9/11 approaches I have really been pondering what good I have done for my country. Although, I am not a soldier, do not carry a gun, or risk my life to defend, honor and uphold God and country... I am making a difference. One child at a time. One life at a time. It is my hope that my gratitude bleeds over into all those I come in contact with. With all the war, sadness and depression in this world there is much to be thankful for. That is where Light comes in. In opposition to war is peace. Joy in your heart. Gratitude to a soldier. It is so hard for me not to hug a soldier in uniform! When I see them in the store I get a lump in my throat. My desire is so strong to do MORE. Then I remember that the hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world. Mothers, do not doubt your ability to raise good people. The world needs them in every capacity. Soldiers, teachers, workers, builders, preachers, people who inspire and uplift this weary world. And everyone of them has a Mother. Be kind to your children. Be loving to your spouse. Share a smile with a stranger. We can make a difference. By spreading light. I encourage you to read, study and pray how you can bless the lives of those around you. I still pray for those whose lives changed on 9/11. All of us were changed, but some lost everything. I think about them nearly every day. So many lives lost. Our soldiers continue to give their lives... let us give them hope. Be the change YOU wish to see in the world. It all starts with you. As for me.... well. My colors are flying high and free thanks to those who DO defend our freedom. May God bless them all. Wherever they may be. Thank you. Freedom is never free.

No comments: