Friday, July 12, 2013

Uncle Gary

After a fun morning and afternoon in the water, we prepared for Uncle Gary's memorial service.  His sister and brother both spoke as well as Kim's husband and son, Jeremy, who has recently returned from an LDS mission in Scotland.  Kim also spoke, and as the service closed, I thought that all the speakers combined had paid a great tribute to my uncle.  Kim's oldest son, KC, is currently serving in the Marine Corps.  Uncle Gary had been a Marine, and KC presented a flag to Aunt Margie which was a touching tribute.  We visited with family and friends, and Aunt Margie was able to see some friends she hadn't seen since she'd moved away from the area.

In a dream I had had a few days before leaving, I was at the memorial service greeting those who had come.  There was a young Marine sitting by the door of the room we were in, and I went to talk to him thinking he was probably the one who would be officiating at the services.  I told him how many of the family had come together to visit and support each other.  I expressed how we don't often do that enough and how good it was to be together.  He said nothing, but looked at me as if he wanted to and simply smiled.  I kept thinking how much he looked like Uncle Gary (in the picture shown above), and I was telling some family members about it in the dream just before I woke up.  I remember thinking that it wasn't him because he obviously was much older and had passed away, but when I woke up, I realized that it was very possible that he could attend his own services, enjoy the family being there, and be pleased about what was happening.  I think he would be very pleased with what transpired.

No comments: