Monday, September 22, 2014

Do You Dress Up?



It's that time of year when the light changes, the air is crisper, and the temperature beings to change.  If you're in California, that would be fall!  I know, not quite the same fall changes that happen elsewhere, but to we natives, we know when fall arrives.

There are so many blog posts I need to catch up on, but I will get to those.  Tonight I am contemplating Halloween, one of my favorite holidays.  I remember my costumes as a little girl--the smell of a plastic mask, the tickle of make up, the feel of my plastic pumpkin in my little hand, and the sweater my mom made me wear underneath my costume so I wouldn't get cold.  The best memories were of going from house to house with my Dad walking along side us.  When we were older and less likely to go out, Dad would bring doughnuts home, orange frosting and sprinkles, which we would eat while watching, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," or "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"

Of course I was ecstatic to share our daughter's first Halloween with her and begin our own traditions.  She was only three months old, but she made a very cute pumpkin!  There was one thing about that first Halloween that had to happen...

I had to dress up.

You bet'cha!  I feel like a kid inside each and every Halloween, and I need to be in a costume.  It's so fun, and I get downright giddy inside thinking about the possibilities each year.  My husband hasn't shared my desire to don festive apparel, but that hasn't stopped me.  I have managed to find something to wear each and every Halloween regardless of how I was feeling about the quality of my garb.  I don't know if my girls will remember my exuberance, and Jenna even told me last year that I need to dress up because I haven't done it for a few years.  This prompted a search through the digital archives which produced proof that, yes in deedy, I haven't missed a year.  I just can't.  It's too fun. Will my girls remember that I was a stinkin' fun momma? Actually, they will thanks to, as mentioned above, the digital age.  Ha!  Even if they don't, they each get into planning their own costumes every year, often several months in advance.  Where do they get that enthusiasm from?  Yep.

So I would love to know...do you dress up?  I bet your kids would LOVE it if you did.  If you need any help with costume ideas, give me a jingle.  I'll be happy to share my costume selecting eagerness (aka, passion, exhilaration, craziness) with you.

Happy Haunting!

p.s.  Yes, it's only September 22, but this affords you PLENTY of time to start thinking.  Come on, you know you want to.

2 comments:

allypally said...

I'm already feeling the pressure for costumes... and I don't like Halloween! Love that you dress up though. I never will!

Michelle Blair said...

That is so awesome that you do it. Maybe if I did Gavin would want to also. He's kind of a bum like me. Maybe it's a boy thing.