Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes & The Number 36

Today is the 36th anniversary of my father's 36th birthday. This is his story, and he's sticking to it. He came to spend the weekend with us and celebrate is birthday (I mean, anniversary). Dad loves chocolate cake, and fortunately, this week's scheduled cupcake item was Chocolate Cupcakes. See, there is a reason I waited an extra week to get back to baking.

Due to the week in which the first Sunday was Easter Sunday, and the next Sunday was the last of our Spring Break week, the Cupcake Project was put on hold. Last week, I was simply too darn tired to bake, so the lovely circumstance of Dad's favorite cake flavor and his birthday coincided beautifully.

Jenna was on hand for the Sous Chef position. She wanted to do everything herself.

Here they are in the oven. I have not perfected the filling of the papers without the mess.

While we waited for cupcakes, and I prepared Dad's favorite homemade taco dinner, the girls and Kelly got Grandpa involved in a game of Harry Potter Uno.

The most lovely cupcakes just out of the oven.

If you were wondering who the lucky recipient of the cupcakes were this week (since I didn't show up unannounced on any door steps--hee, hee), Dad was the winner of the whole batch! There were only 12 cupcakes, and we planned to consume them all.

Birthday dessert: warm chocolate cupcake with vanilla ice cream and caramel topping.

Dad making his wish...

and opening his presents.

Happy Birthday Dad! We are so blessed to have you in our lives!
Love you!
Oh, and the cupcakes were divine.

3 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

Yummy. We'll have to make those when we come visit. I'm sure dad will be up for them again.

Sheryl Mosher said...

What a happy day! I'm so glad that you got to have such a fun birthday with your dad. I like the idea of the anniversary in place of the actual birthday. I'm going to employ that strategy immediately. I think I'll tell people that it's my 20th birthday (and then mumble "for the second time.") Some will catch it; some will not. Either way I will feel better.

yay for dad and chocolate cupcakes!

Hillary said...

Love that. :) His 36th anniversary of being 36!!! Fabulous. I'll have to remember that one. Your dad is super cute in the picture of him blowing out his candle. Too funny!