Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spring Break - Final Day

Saturday is technically a weekend, but for this post, it is the last day of Spring Break; the last day of a long and wonderful break that has been without demand of schedule except that which we have wished to schedule for our pleasure.

As Heather had had two friends over to spend the night, we were up late on Friday night and began our Saturday morning rather s l o w l y. Around 11:00 a.m., I wished to crawl back in bed and read a bit or fall asleep. It was then that I realized that my girls were expecting great things--a trip to the castle park in Irvine and/or a trip to the movie theater. I began to remember that Jenna needed shoes, that my bulletin board at church needed updating before Sunday, and that our house needed some major clutter clean up before Sunday was upon us. Out of bed I bolted and into the shower. The girls were very sad to hear that the park and the movie were becoming out of the question. It was time for us to look at what we had put aside this week and do some quick catch up.

They opted to go outside and play ball tag with their dad while I drove to the school supply to look for bulletin board ideas. I laughed at myself when, upon attempting to check out, I realized that not only had I grabbed my husband's car keys (leaving him stranded at home) and my phone (leaving him no way to contact me), I had also left my driver's license and credit card at home. I quickly drove home to get them and additionally realized that I had literally and whole-heartedly checked out of reality and enjoyed an entire week in the land of no responsibility! In letting go of our schedule, I'd let go of thinking about what was coming next including making sure I had everything I needed to leave the house and go out and make a purchase. Silly me, but what a great week it has been!!!

So for day six we ended up at BOGO to purchases shoes for Jenna, and at Target to purchase two new bouncing balls for the girls (the last one exploded while I was at the school supply).

While I worked on my bulletin board materials, the girls played swinging kick-ball with their dad.

Kelly and the girls accompanied me to the church building. While Kelly put up chairs for Primary the next day, and the girls played with their new balls, I put up my board. I was glad to have Kelly there for safety and for the use of his height and long arms!

We had dinner at In N Out which will be the last of our fast food for a while! We need some good home-cooked meals and a little less outpouring of the cash. Jenna had fun dipping her fries in her shake.

So...although we didn't have a spectacular event type of day, and the girls had to do with a little disappointment, we did accomplish some needed things. I thought about the disappointment and felt that although I wanted the girls not to be disappointed, they had had a pretty good week, and a little disappointment is good. We can't play all the time, even if we wanted to. I am resolved, however, not to let the carefree feeling of this week get away from me. We will go to a movie this week, and we will visit that park. I have been so entrenched in the serious for so long that this break has turned out to be more refreshing than I had expected. It was needed, and the message I seemed to get was that I needed to relax a little bit.

As the girls went to bed, I found that Jenna's new ball, which she has named Ocean, had a bed all for herself complete with blanket. That made me smile. This mom needs more smiling time, and I intend to have it.

7 comments:

Sheryl Mosher said...

Three cheers for fun! We need lots more fun, so let's find some time and have some. :) Here's to injecting fun into some part of every day. xoxo

Sheryl Mosher said...

I had to leave another comment because the word verification I get to type is "blerg." HA! See, fun already.

Kathy Busby said...

Good times! Now if we can just get through to the middle of June!! And the bulletin board looks fabulous!! I wondered who was responsible. I used to do it and was always very concerned that it look good. You have surpassed the bar!

BakeliteBebe said...

A few things:

I take wrong keys/forget license/forget money all the time...I have learned that it is just a part of me.

Your bulletin board looks amazing.

I love dipping my fries in shakes. :)

Michelle Blair said...

Sorry you have to go back to a schedule. I'm counting down until summer break when we don't have to follow a schedule. Looks like you guys had a fun week. How fun to spend time with your friends.

Kristie K. said...

Love in n out! i totally spaced on our ward night poster. I need to get crackin!

Jennifer said...

Love this post! Looks like you had a fun, easygoing day but still productive--those are my most favorite days of all. Your family is cute and I'm not surprised to see the creativity of your bulletin board, considering your awesome blog. Hang on to that relaxed feeling--I think sometimes just one fun thing in our week makes all the difference. I met a girlfriend w/her kids for lunch at McDonald's yesterday. We ate and talked for over an hour while the kids played, and it may as well have been a trip to the spa, we were both in such good spirits by the time we left. Puts a little weekend in your week--we moms deserve it!