Thursday, January 12, 2012

In A Word - Year 3

When I posted my Top 5 at the end of December, I had completely forgotten about the In A Word idea I'd gotten from the girls at BLOOM. My friend posted her word yesterday and I thought, "Hey! I've done that and I totally forgot!" In January of 2010 my inaugural In A Word post was written followed in January of 2011 by In A Word Year 2. As I think back, the words "mindful" and "focus" were words that reflected my longing for improvement in the midst of a serious lack of energy. The more severe effects of Vitamin D deficiency I didn't know I had began in September just prior to the first In A Word post. I remember wanting so badly to care and figure out what was up with me. Being "mindful" helped me be aware of the most important things in my life and hang on to staying engaged with those things. The following year I knew I needed to be more active, but still had no energy. I thought that "focus" on just one thing at a time might be doable. Thank goodness my doctor's appointment in April of 2011 uncovered the depression that had been a symptom of severe Vitamin D deficiency. By June, I was back. The rest of the "focus" year was spent examining all of the damage from the previous two years--a house in disorder, friendships I'd not paid attention to, a weight gain of nearly 40 pounds, and most of the previous years' habits of exercise and healthy eating gone.

Yesterday I was reminded about choosing a word for the year, and I want to keep that up. I have more energy and many things I need to catch up on, so the best word I could think of was a word that would embody putting things into action. I feel like I've been gone for two years and have come back to find another person in my place. Who is this overweight, disorganized couch potato? I don't know, but I've got some work to do. I know what I need to do; I need to move and get it done. I want to put into practice the successful routines I know to be beneficial to my physical, spiritual and emotional health. Willpower is simply the desire to change. I have a lot to change, but I've done it before, so I know I can do it again...with a little practice.

Here we go 2012!


No comments: