Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Out with the old...


We said good bye to our 40-year-old oven last week, and hello to a new one.  The old one simply quit working, and we're not sure why given we haven't used it at all over the hot summer.  Oh well.

Over the past 25 years, Kelly and I have enjoyed a few new appliances (dishwasher, fridge, washer/dryer), but we have never had a new oven.  We used Kelly's parents oven which they'd had for years, our apartment oven which looked original from the 60's, and the oven in this house which we were told was original 1963.  It was made by American Crown.  If you haven't heard of that brand, I can't blame you.  My internet research says they went out of business in the late 80's or so, and this also alerted us to the fact that spare parts were going to be nearly impossible to find.  That's what made the decision for us.

My only problem with my new oven doesn't have to do with the new oven; it's the budget.  We have a very loose budget, but it doesn't really have a category for new appliances, new roof, window or carpet replacement or even the bathroom that needs sorely remodeled.  We don't spend a ton, but it seems that monthly bills, the girls' sports, music lessons, groceries, clothing, fuel and car maintenance, etc. are the only things we have room for.  How do folks do all the repairs and home maintenance that needs to be done without taking out a loan?  I don't know, but Mr. Oven is making me re-look at the budget.  We'll be tightening up the belt a bit to pay for him, and then we'll have to move on to saving for the next "new" that is going to need to come to our home.  There's got to be a way to do this, and I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Financial Guru advice is welcome in the comments.  Thank you.

1 comment:

Linds Barttels said...

When Brad was unemployed for almost a year mint.com became my BFF. It can be a pain figuring out how to categorize all your purchases at first, but it really helped me keep track of EVERYTHING. Or, if you are desperate, Dave Ramsay has the "Envelope method" aka give yourself the $ budget and when it's gone, it's gone.
GOOD LUCK! I feel like we have the same problem... except without the house. My mom likes to say that "Extra money" is a nonsequitur- there is no such thing as "extra" money.