Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Full Plate

As I was getting my thoughts together for my post on preparation and mastery, I took a figurative snapshot of what the Peterson clan is up to at this time in November of 2010:

Kelly is busy at work with projects and deadlines that are taking him away earlier in the morning (sometimes 3:00 a.m.) and bringing him home to us twelve to fourteen hours later. He is dedicated to his current assignment at church making sure that we all have opportunities to attend the temple. Until one actually has this assignment, there is no way to explain how much time it involves. The next time you LDS folks have a chance to thank the gentleman who plans your temple appointments, thank him. And maybe bake him some cookies.

Heather is working on various strokes to stay afloat in this world called middle school. She is discovering that cheerleading is hard work, especially when you have to play catch-up after being out with tendonitis. She has become a lover of piano practice, is learning how to sew a sock monkey at Activity Days, and is hard at work making beautiful music with the OCMCO Youth Chorus.

Jenna has also been bitten by the piano practice bug. I wonder if it's because mom finally called the piano tuner and got the sticky keys fixed? She is also discovering her Swedish roots and working on a Heritage Project for third grade, and working really hard at her weekly gymnastics lesson. The girl has flexibility that I wish I had a tenth of. She is very close to mastering a front hand-spring.

Melissa... I may have an anxiety attack if I list all the things I am supposed to be doing at a proficient level. To say that I am "just a mom" is the understatement of all understatements in the history of the universe. I have a new acronym for the word mom --

Master
Of
Management.

Time management, home management, organizational management, scheduling management, homework management, mental health management, physical health management, relationship management, personal growth management. It's a busy job. I'm pretty much doing what I am supposed to be doing which is, my best. Most days I lean more toward insanity than proficiency, but what can ya do? There is no way to be proficient at everything. I am striving to manage well. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I think it has to do with moving forward, staying positive, and being mindful of ways to improve.

4 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

Wow you are really busy! When I find myself overwhelmed, I just take a moment to breathe. Then I think about how I can spend as much time with Gavin while I can when he is young. Everything else can wait.

Jenny said...

M.O.M. I love it!!

~yoga~ said...

It is amazing what we juggle...yes?
And you do it beautifully!!

Kathy Habel said...

I'm not doing such a good job managing but I keep trying. Miss you!