Friday, November 26, 2010

Missing Those Family Gatherings

My girls asked me a couple of Thanksgivings ago, "Who is coming to Thanksgiving dinner?" It occurred to me that they had never, in their young lives, spent a holiday not surrounded by family. It was a bit of a blow to them the first year that it was just the four of us and Grandpa Ron. Last year we extended our family to include our dear friends and neighbors, the Holbrook family, and we experienced that excitement of waiting for everyone to arrive. There is something about that isn't there? I am so thankful that we are still able to have my dad as our guests. Guests and holidays just go together.

I was talking to a friend the other day about family gatherings and some of the challenges that occur when families get together. We all have those experiences. However, I couldn't help but recall that there was a time when I thought that our family gatherings would be forever occasions. I now see that what I thought would go on and on, didn't. Who knew that deeply rooted California families would relocate out-of-state? Who knew that grandparents would pass on three years in a row leaving a small empty space each year following when we gathered? Those big, fun, crazy family gatherings don't go on forever, and I find myself missing them very much today. If there were any words of wisdom for me to leave for my children it would be to appreciate each moment and each occasion while they are there to enjoy. They just don't go on forever the way your heart wishes they would.

Christmas Eve Nativity with the cousins - 2002 & 2004


Post holiday lunch at Ruby's with the Crane's and Palmatiers - 2003


Thanksgiving Day with all of Melissa's extended family - 2004


Christmas Eve at Uncle Chuck and Aunt Kathy's house - 2004


Christmas dinner - Grandma & Grandpa Pete, Grandpa Ron, Uncle Kevin & Aunt Beth - 2004


Tiddlywinks with Grandpa Pete - Christmas 2005


Reading With Grandma Pete - Christmas 2005


Thanksgiving in New Mexico with Michelle and Shane - 2008

1 comment:

Michelle Blair said...

That is so sad that we haven't been together for a long time. We need to remedy that. So cute to look back at those happy times.