Sunday, May 15, 2011

Update on "The Blahs"

Back in March I posted about having "the blahs". I wasn't really sure what was up, but I was getting weary, and my doctor's appoint was still over a month a way. I'm back to report that I have met my new doctor, and I really, really like her. She listened to me, and I sensed that I was in good hands. She sent me off for blood work, recommended a B6 and B12 supplement and scheduled a follow-up appointment. At the follow-up appointment, we reviewed my blood work. My Vitamin D3 levels were very low. They like you to be at a 30, and mine was at 18. She suspects it has been that way for a while. I'm told they are seeing a rise in Vitamin D deficiency due to not being able to be in the sun during the peak hours (10am to 2pm) or being in the sun, but using high potency sunscreens. At any rate, one side effect of Vitamin D deficiency is depression. You can read more about it here. I've also read that cognitive function can be impaired which may be why I feel like I'm losing my intellectual edge.

I've started a massive dose of Vitamin D3 that will last 8 weeks. After that, we'll check blood again and talk about a maintenance dose. In the meantime, I'm trying to be more positive and look for small things I can accomplish each day. I've started back on a regular exercise program and will slowly, but surely get back to healthier eating. It's kind of one thing at a time right now, but I'm optimistic.

2 comments:

Angie Haas said...

Way to go Melissa! I am so happy you went to the doctor and feel good about her. I've been hearing about many people having a vitamin D deficiency lately and I wonder if I may have some kind of deficiency. I've been seriously concerned about my mental abilities lately, i.e. not remembering names, saying things wrong... ugh! Thanks to you I will be getting my vitamin D checked very soon!

Jenny said...

Sorry you haven't been feeling 100%. I hope you're back to your perky self soon. :)