Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sick, Sick, Sick



Heather woke up with a fever this morning. She's been stuffed up for over a week and has asked for decongestant almost every night this past week so she could sleep. I was pretty sure she had a sinus infection, and I was able to get her an appointment with our pediatrician. When Jenna woke up sounding croaky, I had a feeling I should take her in as well even though she was still on an antibiotic. Yesterday, Jenna had complained that her chest hurt while running at school. So, I called back and added her to been seen with Heather. I figured it couldn't hurt. I was glad I had the double appointment when Jenna woke up from a late morning nap with a fever.

We learned that Heather has a sinus infection (which I had guessed) and Jenna was far sicker than I thought. She has Respiratory Airway Disease which is essentially essentially something that got into her lungs while she was trying to recover from her sinus issues these past two weeks (I'm sure playing soccer in the cold rain on Saturday didn't help). After an in-office breathing treatment, she still had wheezing in her right lung. She is now on a new antibiotic, a steroid, a nasal spray and a breathing treatment every four hours. She is also to avoid physical exercise for 7 - 10 days which rules out soccer for this weekend. Poor girls!

Now if I can keep the threats to send us to the School Attendance Review Board away, we'll be okay. We've had a lot of random illness this year with Jenna and have already received a list of all the days she has missed. Hopefully both girls will be recovering in the next day or two.

Off I go to grab some more tissues and Gatorade. Keep us in your thoughts.

No comments: