Saturday, December 22, 2012

I Suppose I Can Still Write...

We are busy decking the halls, shopping for last minute presents, creating grocery lists for our Christmas goodies to bake for friends, watching Christmas movies, and as of today, sleeping in a little bit.  Each day I get a ton of things done, but my holiday to-dos are keeping me from taking care of my blog photos.  Proper blogging will have to wait, but in the meantime, I can still write, right?

My favorite thing this year has been watching my girls get into the spirit of giving.  Heather shopped with me one night a couple of weeks ago and did two sweet things.  The first was that she told me she wanted to get me something special because I always get something special for everyone else, and she really wanted me to have the same.  That warmed my heart.  The other thing was that while we were shopping, I pointed out something that Jenna told me she wanted a while ago, and once Heather knew Jenna really wanted it, she jumped at the chance to get it for her.  She was really into wanting to get the 'perfect' present for her special people.  Heather has always had a loving and giving spirit, so I guess the difference this year is the maturity I'm seeing in her thinking.  She's not shopping and getting distracted by what she wants; she's really looking to find gifts for others.  She did end up going shopping with her Dad for a present for me (it's a total surprise which is just as she wanted it), and I noticed it wrapped by the tree complete with a handmade card.  What a cutie.

Jenna has been crafting like nuts and being really creative with her handiwork.  She has been making and wrapping items for Heather.  Every time she thinks of something new to make, she makes it for Heather.  Again, warm heart.  She's also been my number one wrapping helper, and she let me teach her how to wrap which is unusual for Jenna.  She usually likes to do things by herself and show me that she knows how.  But she's been a total student, and she's turing out some nicely wrapped gifts.  Last night she helped fold our newsletter for the Christmas cards, then label, stamp and return address stamp about 140 cards.  The girl has been saving my bacon, and she's done it with a willing heart and happy disposition.  She is smiling, happy and giving me hugs on a regular basis.  I'll take it!  I look at her often and realize that she's still a little girl, that time is moving quickly, and that I need to soak in every moment.  I'm so thankful for the gift it is to cherish this time with her.

My heart is pretty toasty warm, and I love it.

1 comment:

Jennifer B. said...

Thanks for this. Warmed my heart :)