Monday, March 30, 2009

Teaching Our Children

I read this this morning and it sent something of a zing through me.  It is in the April 2009 issue of the Ensign, and the author is Henry B. Eyring.

"We have the greatest opportunity with the young.  The best time to teach is early, while children are still immune to the temptations of their mortal enemy and long before the words of truth may be harder for them to hear in the noise of their personal struggles.

A wise parent would never miss a chance to gather children together to learn of the doctrine of Jesus Christ.  Such moments are so rare in comparison with the efforts of the enemy.  For every hour the power of doctrine is introduced into a child's life, there may be hundreds of hours of messages and images denying or ignoring the saving truths.

The question should not be whether we are too tired to prepare to teach doctrine or whether it would be better to draw a child closer by just having fun or whether the child is beginning to think that we preach too much.  The question must be, 'With so little time and so few opportunities, what words of doctrine from me will fortify them against the attacks on their faith which are sure to come?'  The words you speak today may be the ones they remember.  And today will soon be gone."

4 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

I better crack open my April Ensign. It was already on today's list but sounds like there is some good stuff in there.

Katie said...

I'm so glad you posted that. I think you posted that for me to read. Seriously. I needed to hear and read that. It's interesting sometimes when you post something that you can't help but share, sometimes turns out to be something that was an answer to someone else's prayer.

~yoga~ said...

I love you.

Michelle Blair said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I need to be better.