Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 11 - Colorado

We drove to Durango Mountain today to experience another beautiful two-hour trail ride.  We loved doing this last summer, and it was the first thing the girls put on the agenda when we planned our trip.  The beauty of the mountains is so majestic it is hard to capture on film.  The Aspen and Pine forests are so dense, and the meadows are beautiful!  Jenna, Gavin and Grandpa Ron had the same horses they rode last year (Ranger, Sandy and Elvis). Apparently that was a fun thing for the kids.  Well, Grandpa too.  Hee, hee.  I rode Phoenix, and Heather was on Zorro.  She thought that was funny, but she missed Chester. At least we got to see Chester before we left.  She actually remembered the white mark on his nose and spotted him right away.  I love that my girls have room for all this in their memories.



Twilight Moment--Our trail guide was a teen from Southern CA.  As we were chatting I asked her if she'd read Twilight.  Our brief conversation was kinda funny:

Guide:  Oh yeah!  I've read all the books.
Me:  So do you ever think about it being out here in the forest all the time?
Guide: Um, yeah, but not really that often.  You must be way more into them than me.
Me:  (silently) Uh, yeah.  That's appears to be an understatement.  


After our ride we drove back to downtown Durango.  We had lunch at the Old Timers Cafe. They have yummy burgers and fries!


And of course we had to visit the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and get a treat.  I was so full from lunch that I didn't get anything for myself.  Weird, huh?


We had some pretty tuckered out horse wranglers on the way home.  It was such a fun day!


No comments: