Friday, August 7, 2009

How Much Love Do YOU Need?


This is my sweet 10-year-old, Heather.  If you are familiar with Gary Chapman's book, The Five Love Languages, you will understand this next bit.  Heather is a "Physical Touch" child.  Her sister is "Quality Time", and fortunately for the girls, Kelly is "Physical Touch" and I am "Quality Time" so they have at least one other person in the family who completely understands their unique needs.  Even though I know this about my children, I don't always clue in to what they may be missing until they ask for something.  Jenna might say, "I need someone to play with."  Heather may say, "I want to snuggle."  

Tonight, after a long two days of mom and dad being caught up in getting ready for the next trip, errands, work stress and things that have come up that need our full attention, our sweet little Heather came into find me tonight while I was pulling pairs of shorts out of Kelly's closet to pack.  I was rather deep in thought when she came in, but fortunately, I didn't miss the moment.  Here is how the conversation went:

Heather:  Mommy, can I have some love?

Me:  You need some love?

Heather:  Yes.

Me:  Sure. 

*Puts down pile of shorts to embrace H*
*Long hugs while dialogue continues*

Heather:  I need at least 5 hugs a day.

Me:  Only 5?  Can you have more?

Heather:  Well, not less.  Five or more loves a day.  Less than five does not fit the budget!




3 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

That is so sweet. Sometimes they come up with the darnedest things to say. Hope you guys have a great trip!

Kim Harvey said...

That is so cute! What a sweet girl to tell you what she needs and a great mommy for listening!

shari berry bo-berry said...

tears!!!! oh man. sweet moment!!!