Sunday, October 11, 2009

Continuous Learning

If I am older, shouldn't I be wiser? That's what I've always heard. I guess I am wiser about a lot of things. What is surprising to me is that after years and years of acquiring wisdom, some things still elude me. Things that are relatively simple.

So here is my most recent epiphany. There are important things that need to happen every day for me to feel accomplished. They are not grand things by worldly standards, but simple things. It is strange how we can take simple things for granted simply because after hearing the ideas over and over, they become too bland or generic to maintain importance on our list of pressing 'to-do's'.

I tried a new list this week. The list has only 5 items on it. Any additional to-do items are listed after these are done. These five items were the things missing on my daily to-do list, and my spirit was finally shouting loud enough for me to take notice. I am constantly in a state of agitation worrying about things that I know I need to get to, but that I can't seem to fit in because I'm busy doing everything else, or sometimes just plain old wasting time. My soul needed peace. This is what I came up with:

• Meaningful morning prayer (the kind where you kneel, unrushed)
• Read from scriptures (a verse or a chapter, whatever will fit)
• Exercise (just gotta do it, first thing)
• Shower (it's just not funny how fast the day can go by)
• Bless home (from The Fly Lady; it means quick tidying up of the house and putting all in order each day so that it doesn't become overwhelming)

I have tried this list this week and it was very odd to see what happened. I was at peace every day. I didn't spend as much time on the computer. Errands that used to take precedence over my home waited a day or two until they fit into the schedule. It was truly miraculous.

I don't know about older and wiser, but I'm definitely sure that continuous learning will be a hallmark of my life. At least I'm getting some of the lessons learned. Better late than never, right?

3 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

I need to get back to doing those things first thing too!

Jennifer B. said...

You are so right!

shari berry bo-berry said...

Melissa this is exactly the thing I needed today!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU for sharing your wisdom... :)