Saturday, October 3, 2009

Prayer of Thanks

While tidying up this evening, I pondered on the state of disorganization in my home. I posed the question to myself, "If we are truly thankful for our home, as we tell the Lord we are in our prayers each evening, wouldn't we show more care in the way we take care of it?" I had to write about it. Here is my offering for today...

A Prayer of Thanks


Help me be thankful for my home

As would the man who stands in front of the place where his home used to be.


Help me be thankful for the food on our table

As would a child who has not eaten for a week.


Help me be thankful for my comfortable bed

As would the woman who helps comfort her children as they sleep on the sidewalk.


Help me be thankful for clean water

As would the families who travel miles to collect and carry theirs home.


Help me be thankful for shelter, clothes and shoes

As would the homeless who live on the street and huddle in the cold.


Help me be thankful for my education

As would a woman who is not allowed to go to school.


Help me be thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ

As would the family who dares not worship for fear of death.


Help me show the thanks in my heart and treat my blessings as treasures

As would so many given the chance to be in my shoes.



~ Melissa C. Peterson


5 comments:

Angie Haas said...

Beautifully said Melissa! These are wonderful words to live by. You are so talented!
Miss you!

Kathy Habel said...

Wow, I love it. You have a wonderful way with words.

Michelle Blair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Blair said...

You should really collect your works and publish them. You are very talented. Amen to your words.

Katie said...

You are amazing! Your posts fill me with such inspiration and are such a great reminder at the little things I need to do to be more humble. I love it! Really, you should publish your words. I'd so buy your book and read it often.

I love your halloween back ground!!