Friday, October 23, 2009

That's My Girl

As I walked through the kitchen last night, I noticed Heather missing from her homework spot at the table. Thinking she left, I called for her. I heard a voice near her chair and stepped around to take a look. Here she was in the laundry basket doing her homework. She said it was quite comfortable. She likes being surrounded by things--hugs, stuffed animals, blankets--it's been that way since we brought her home from the hospital. She often surprises me with her 'out-of-the-box' thinking, but it usually makes me smile.

If you know Heather, you know that one of the best words to describe her is joyful. She is full of joy every minute of every day. She is happy and compassionate and loving and a joy to have around. I think she gets that from her dad. She springs out of bed in the morning and is ready to greet the day. I am just so glad she is in my life. She reminds me not to be so serious, and she's shown me that a little more carefree is not that big a deal. Her heart is so open, and she is so kind that when she is hurt, she hurts deeply. I am trying to teach her how to deal with that which I think will be a lifelong process for her. I do know, though, that I have been sent the little ones that I have to teach me and help me grow. She has been a great teacher in opening my mind to new possibilities and new ways of thinking. I am more flexible and compassionate because of this little ball of joy. I just love her so much. Can ya tell?

3 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

You have the cutest girls.

Jenny said...

love it!

Michelle Blair said...

That is so her. She is amazing. Gavin and I want to come visit soon! Gavin says it is hard waiting.