Sunday, September 5, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

The Cupcake Project has been on hold since our Carrot Cake Cupcakes in May. I'm not sure exactly the order, but there were a few events leading up to the break including the project becoming more of a "to-do" on my Sunday roster, and the girls losing interest. I didn't blame them. Some of the cupcakes were a bit sophisticated for their taste or they just plain ole' didn't like the flavor. We took a break and I've been giving it some thought.

What I decided was that I needed to let the girls pick the recipes whether they were in the Cupcake Deck or not. We still have a few yummy sounding ones to choose from, but we've found some others that look scrumptious. The one thing I hadn't decided was when to start, however, this weekend, while up in Northern CA, Beth handed me a box of The Barefoot Contessa's Red Velvet Cupcake mix and declared herself "not much of a baker" (she is a phenomenal cook). I was happy to mix them up. When I realize that I was making cupcakes on a Sunday with willing taste testers, I decided that this was as good a time as any to get back into the project. So...we're officially back on.



They were pretty darn tasty. The frosting was really cream cheesy, so I would go heavier on the powdered sugar next time for the kids.

1 comment:

Sheryl Mosher said...

They were delicious. The kids loved the cake, but as you said, wanted more sugar in the frosting. No worries: I was able to relieve them of their cream cheese frosting and just eat it with a fork. Awesome! :) Grace said she now wants a red velvet cake for her birthday with vanilla frosting. No problem here.