Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Mother's Day Submission I Wrote

I am pleasantly surprised by my feelings and ability to write about Mother's Day.  Prior feelings I've had on Mother's Day have been forgotten and replaced with joy and gratitude.  I never liked Mother's Day because it seemed that our mom expected to be celebrated on that one day of the year when the rest of the days were not what we would consider ideal in the relationship department.  As I got older, worked through my issues, and then became a mother, it still sickened me to celebrate for celebration's sake.  I didn't want to be celebrated because I wondered if I would have the same legacy where my kids wouldn't think I deserved to be celebrated because I wasn't doing the job 24-7-365.  This most likely sounds horrible to anyone reading, but I struggled through this for a few years while the truth whispered to me.  I ended up hearing the truth;  I wasn't making the same mistakes my mom had made, I was giving my best every day, and my relationship with my babies and my husband was completely different.  As a result of changing my perception, I have gone from a queasy stomach on Mother's Day to a heart full of gratitude.  I still don't enjoy the focus and attention on this one day (I think we should be doing the best we can do every day), nor do I think I am perfect (far from it), but I understand the importance of stopping to remember and be grateful (I even have some gratitude for my own mom).  


The following is a short piece I submitted to our Relief Society Newsletter at church.  The prompts were memories of mom, grandma, etc., what I love about being a mom, or something my kids have done for me on Mother's Day.  My thoughts didn't go predictably with any of the prompts, but in the end, I wrote about how I feel about Mother's Day and being a mom.  It was well-received and included in the newsletter, and I wanted to put it here in the blog for journaling purposes.


When Mother's Day, 2008 was about a week a way, I realized that for the first time in my life I had no mother or mother-in-law to celebrate.  There were no gifts to buy, no cards to pick out and no special gifts to help the kids create for Grandma.  Although I felt the loss of my mothers that year, I knew I still had much to celebrate.  Mother's Day shifted to a day of reflection that year and has remained ever since.  I find peace and joy reflecting on my own mothers, my grandmothers, my aunts and the blessings they've been in my life, and most importantly, how deeply grateful I am to have the opportunity to be a mother to my children.  Being a mother has allowed me to heal, to love deeply, to teach, to nurture, to learn and to feel a Divine connection as the Spirit whispers and helps me raise each daughter in the unique way needed.  I do not take motherhood for granted.  Each night when I sing to my girls and tuck them in, and each morning when I look upon their sleepy faces, I am filled with a joy that is beyond description.  I need no presents or recognition when the second Sunday in May arrives--every single day is "Mother's Day" for me.  I will spend next Sunday reflecting, pondering deeply, and offering prayers gratitude to my Father in Heaven for the privilege of both having had great mothers and for being one myself.

No comments: