Sunday, September 22, 2013

Buddy Walk - Tempe, Arizona

The girls and I spent the weekend in Gilbert with my cousin, Jeff, and his family.  We haven't stayed with him before, so it was great to stay there and let the kids get to know each other a little better.  First of all, can we just talk about this rental car?  I scheduled a full-size car, and the cute lady at the Avis counter noticed it was my birthday that weekend.  So she upgraded me to this lovely Toyota RAV4.  It was pretty sweet, and hello gas milage! 

Okay, back to the reason for the trip.  Jeff and Susan's daughter was born with Downs Syndrome, and they do the Buddy Walk each year to raise money for Downs.  We were invited to do the walk with them, and everything fell into place allowing us to go.  It was the perfect weekend to get away.  We left during the girls' sixth period classes, hit some traffic, and arrived just before midnight.  We left for the walk at 8:00AM Saturday morning, and it was so great to be all together to support this cause.  Joanna and her kids were there along with my Aunt and Uncle.  There were so many people at the event!  I loved all the matching "team" shirts.  So much love and support.  After the walk, the kids partook of the carnival type games that were provided.  It was pretty hot, but not as bad as it could have been.

After the walk, the cousins went swimming, and then we headed out to the mall to get gelato at a super yummy place called "Frost."  It was a birthday treat for me (Thank you Auntie and Uncle!), and we had to stop by the little cupcake shop called "Caketini."  So super yummy!  On the way home we stopped to take a picture of the newly constructed LDS temple in Gilbert.  What an amazing site!  We turned in pretty early for bed and headed out Sunday morning.  We snapped a quick photo of the girls with Jeff and Susan's kids.  I know next time we see everyone they'll all have grown so much.  I'm so glad we got to spend the weekend with our family.  Family is the best!


1 comment:

Michelle Blair said...

Looks like fun. I want to plan on going next year.