Thursday, November 12, 2009

facebook issues


I love facebook. I love that I can login and see what my friends are up to no matter how far away they live. I have reconnected with friends from high school, linked up with current friends, and can send quick shout outs to my family. It's great.

Here's what I don't love. I get friend requests from people I know, but they are not necessarily the people I want to have viewing my silly little facebook updates. The ones that are especially frustrating are the husbands of women I only sort of know. I got a request yesterday from the husband of a woman at church I've said hi to maybe once a month over the past year. What do I do with that?

I'm not into the "how many friends can I acquire" thing that I know some people care about on facebook. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be about? The other thing I'm wondering is, do John or Jane Smith really want to know what I'm doing on a day-to-day basis? I don't ever post anything inappropriate, but you never know when something might be fodder for discussion or might be read the wrong way by someone.

Maybe I shouldn't worry so much about it, but I still kinda shudder when I think about some of these people I know less well reading what I post.

Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

I feel your confusion. I would just ignore them. You don't want everyone to see what is going on. I love your header. What is that from?

allypally said...

IGNORE! IGNORE! IGNORE!

The ones that tick me off are the youth who have NEVER spoken to me at church, who are getting on facebook for the first time and 'friend' all their parents' friends...at least that's my only explanation for how they're finding me. I ignore 'em all!

If you delete people does facebook tell them? I'm feeling a cull coming on!

Hillary said...

yep... that's what I do. DELETE! I just delete the request if I don't want to be friends. You can also delete them from being your friend right now and they'll never know. I actually started feeling weird about facebook too, so I don't use it as much anymore. The people I care about most can read my blog. haha. :) I feel for ya girl!

Jennifer B. said...

Add, then delete. They feel accepted and they probably won't realize that they got unfriended.

Good luck!

Kathy Habel said...

I add them all but I hide nearly everyone so I don't see their status or posts on my wall. Facebook was taking up too much of my time so now I only see posts from family and close friends. I was way into facebook a while back but it was just too time consuming so I've mostly given it up.