Thursday, December 10, 2009

Appendix Be Gone!

Here is a little picture of my home away from home that I entered on Tuesday evening, December 8, and exited on Thursday morning, December 10, 2009.

While trying to get my girls ready for school on Tuesday morning, I began to feel kind of horrible. I thought I needed to use the restroom and possibly a near-by trash can, or both. I definitely had to sit down and could not get myself back up. You know how you push through illness to take care of your kids? Well, I couldn't. I just couldn't. I don't know how to explain that, but it was very scary. Fortunately our neighbor was just leaving for school, and the girls were ready, so they were able to jump in her car.

For the rest of the day I lay in my bed wondering what in the world was up and why I feel so horrible. Intestinal sickness is never this bad is it? I figured it would pass, so I waited. I remembered things like the girls not having their lunches, but I couldn't make them. Fortunately the school was okay with letting them eat with an i.o.u. They needed to be picked up and friends came to the rescue. Meanwhile, I wasn't feeling any better and kept thinking the pain would pass.

Kelly came home and asked if he could do anything, but aside from taking care of the girls and whisking a piece of information over to the school that had to be turned in that day, there was nothing. I guess while he was eating dinner, the word 'appendix' came to him. He looked up the symptoms and came to ask me about them. I had them all. I wasn't of course sure that I had the exact problem of appendicitis because the pain was higher, but I didn't care anymore. Something was very strange and it was time to get it checked out. I figured I'd suck it up if they told me I was just having intestinal pain. Embarrassing yes, but like I said, worth it to get checked out.

After a bumpy ride to the ER, some great pain meds and a C.A.T. Scan, it was ruled that my appendix was needing an exit. It had not ruptured, but was gianormus and infected. So out it came. By midnight, I was appendix free and sleeping. Whew.

With the exception of an extra day in the hospital to make sure my white blood cell count came down (which it was not doing quickly enough), the event was over quickly. I had not, however, planned this into my schedule. I was supposed to be driving to Arizona today to help out with the EVMCO inaugural concert over there (and getting to watch one for the first time too!). My Christmas decor is in boxes in my living room. I was going to participate in two small singing numbers on Sunday. At least the bathrooms were clean (see Tuesday's post).

Kelly took care of the laundry and some dear friends helped fold. Kelly is such a do-it-all that we didn't need much help, but since he doesn't dig folding and friends wanted to help, that worked out. Thank you friends! My dad ended up driving in as scheduled for Arizona, but stayed to be an extra body in case needed which he will be tomorrow when Kelly goes back to work. It just wasn't planned out this way.

My friend Angie said, "Melissa, do you think God is trying to tell you something? Like maybe slow down??" I'm honestly not sure. But if he was trying to do so, I've slowed down. To a stop. He has provided, however, an amazing array of husband, family and friends who have been right there to help, and for this I am grateful. I could not have asked for a better support team. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

4 comments:

Shari said...

I am glad you are OK!!! Brad went through the same thing last year...it was scary!!!

Can I do anything to help?

Hillary said...

I'm glad to hear more of the details. Last I heard your surgery was scheduled but not done yet. I'm glad you're ok! How freaky to have that much pain that you can't even move. So crazy. Want some chocolate cookies??? Mmmmm. I think that's a yes.

Kathy Habel said...

I'm so glad you are ok. Wow that sounds scary. Thank goodness for good friends and family.

Michelle Blair said...

I'm glad you are okay too! I was getting scared. It must be great to have an "in tune" husband. y\You have great friends too. Love you!