Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bibliophile

bib-li-o-phile
noun
a person who collects or has a great love of books

I looked up the definition to this word thinking that one had to own a certain number of books or be actively searching for rare copies of books to be considered such. Not so.

For some time I have been a collector. When I was young and anticipating motherhood in my future and in the pursuit of my college degree, I began collecting children's books. I'm a sucker for a hard bound book with beautiful illustrations. I have many, and I have delighted in reading them aloud to classrooms full of children as well as to my very own babies. In recent years, I have begun to collect books in a series, or books that I have read and could not put down. In very recent years, I have actually re-read the same novel, something I had not done before. My shelves are overflowing with books. Books, books, books. They are a joy to read, to lend, to look at.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~ Anna Quindlen

Books are my favorite gift to give. My nephew recently told me that I have given him all of his most favorite book series'. That made me so happy. The photo above chronicles my trip to Sam's Club today where I hit a jackpot of sorts. Some for me, some for gifts.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and felt a little as if you have lost a friend. ~ Paul Sweeney

It's time to do some reorganizing in my office and in the playroom. Both rooms house our literary treasures. Part of reorganizing is purging and making room. How does one part with a book? I've whittled our collection down quite a bit, but oh it is hard.

I may need to invest in some additional shelving.

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~ James Bryce

4 comments:

Sheryl Mosher said...

Oh, I do feel your pain (and pleasure)! There are shelves and stacks and piles of books everywhere in our house. My favorite thing to do (secretly) is to pull all the books out of my children's beds at night before they go to sleep. I am truly amazed at the piles I will create. The fact that they love books as much as I do is such a comfort and joy. I think there is no greater thing we can do as parents than to create a love of reading in our children. Now, when that love turns to obsession . . . ;)

allypally said...

I'm storing books under the bed now because I am (gasp!) out of shelves.

We're going to have to move house so that I can have more room for more shelves.

Jeff just got me The Red Pyramid for my birthday! Can't wait to read it.

Jenny said...

So true!! I have that same Paul Sweeney quote on my facebook page. It is SO very true!

Katie said...

Here's another reason why we get along so well! I LOVE books and I"m always looking for books to add to my collection. Even my 5 and 3 yr old have their own collections. I personally think you can't have too many books. They do make the perfect gift!!