Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Psychological Barriers to Success

What would I do if...

...My house were clean and I couldn't moan about the clutter to my friends? Would my friends kick me out of the group? It's like that commercial where all the girlfriends get together in the morning and say what they had for dinner, and the girl who had the Lean Cuisine meal receives all the dirty looks. Could I deal with being the only one who didn't have a clutter complaint?

...I actually went grocery shopping every Monday? or whatever day. Why do I resist a schedule that would improve the quality of my life...Monday - grocery shopping; Tuesday - housework; Wednesday - laundry. If I stuck to a schedule like that, I'd actually get stuff done. What would that feel like?

...Everything in my closet fit and all I had to do was open the door and choose something?

...I started now and continued to have an organized life instead of waiting until tomorrow to begin?

It has occurred to me that I may possess more of the psychological barriers to success than I previously thought. What does one do when they're afraid of success? I've been living on the brink of it for awhile, but never really completing anything. I have skills and talent, but something makes me stop short of that last step as if I know once I take it, life will be different.

I once heard that we hang on to our pain because it is familiar to us, and we like familiar. Do we hang on to our clutter, extra weight or bad habits because they are familiar to us? It sounds so ridiculous, but that must be it. The only way I know how to fix that is to take the plunge or the risk. Isn't that what the therapy is for OCD or phobia patients? At some point, you face the fear.

My name is Melissa, and I have a fear of success. What will happen if I actually complete the projects that I have the skills to complete? What am I afraid of? I guess I need to find out.

4 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

Go for it. Break out of that mold. You can do it....That was for encouragement. I need to do work too. Love ya!

Kathy Habel said...

You can do it! I have similar barriers, I think we all do.

Jennifer B. said...

I think you're really on to something here. . .


Good Luck!

Hillary said...

Yes... there are so many psychological barriers! For me it always feels like I don't achieve and sustain organization for the same reasons I don't achieve and sustain weight loss or being healthy. I'm not sure what all the reasons are yet... but I'm on a path that's similar to yours. And considering the correlation between clutter and gaining weight... maybe that's why Peter Walsh's latest book is called "Does this clutter make my butt look fat?" Hmmmm... I think some investigations are in order.

Oh, and one more thing... don't be too hard on yourself. Perfection is not the goal. Always trying to be better (not perfect) is the goal. :)