Friday, May 7, 2010

Date Night?

Heather got to go to Moiola's Skate Night while Jenna was at gymnastics. Jenna was not happy about this, but Daddy knew that it would be so and cut off her disappointment with an invitation for the daddy-daughter date he owed her. She went off happily to gymnastics, then off to MacDonald's and Disneyland with her daddy.

I picked Heather up at the skate rink where she had been having an awesome time at her first ever school skate party. She was so happy that she thanked me twice for letting her go. After we left the rink it occurred to me that Heather and I could have a date also. Why not? So we did. We headed to Dairy Queen for her favorite fries and some Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Blizzards. It was right next to Target, and I suggested we might go shopping if we wanted (for what, I had no idea, but two girls and a Target? We had to go in, didn't we?!?) As we were walking to the DQ, my favorite part of the evening occurred (I know, you thought the highlight would have been the Reese's Blizzard):

Me: Maybe we should go shopping at Target?
Heather: Yes!
Me: What would we shop for?
Heather: We could shop for clothes and accessories and stuff. I might want to start doing more of that now.

Squee. My little girl wanted to shop with her momma. Yep, I was pretty much in heaven the rest of the night. When did this little baby grow into a young woman? Well okay, she's not there yet, but we did shop for clothes and not toys. That was a bit of a shift in the world of my 10-year-old consumer.

After an hour of shopping fun, we headed home and watched Coraline together while waiting for Dad and Jen. They only rode one ride at Disneyland (most all of the favorites were closed), but Kelly reported the same fun time with a chatty eight-year-old who was cuter than cute. What an awesome parent-child date night for both of us! We must do this again.


No comments: