Monday, June 6, 2011

The Past Eight Days...

Eight days. We have been out of state for the past eight days. For four of those days, we had no internet access, and on the other four days, we were so busy, that exhaustion won out over blogging. I plan to blog over the next day or two and briefly journal our trip. It was amazing. There will be lots of pictures and an attempt to describe the experience. I probably won't be able to sufficiently explain the week's events, but I'll do my best.

Each 12-hour car ride afforded something that I/we don't get while we're at home--time to chill out, be silly, let go of our schedule, and turn our thoughts away from the stress of the day-to-day. While driving back, my friend and I discussed what was waiting for us at home. As we began to remember the school work, teacher issues, looming school closure decision, and other things that were causing us worry I began to realize something. The Adversary is at work, and he is wily. I spend an awful lot of time worrying about things that are not important in the big picture. I am convinced that the Adversary encouraging my focus on things that are not important. Many signs are here letting us know that a shift is occurring, and instead of making sure we are spiritually and physically prepared to meet future challenges, I'm worried about what Heather's teacher is or isn't doing, or what district politics will do to our schools. These seem like big things, and they are important, but I see that it is important that I don't let all of my energy flow to those things. What is important, and what needs my energy is where I need to focus my thinking. I see that the more important it is that we focus on spiritual matters, the Adversary finds ways to thwart or fog our thinking. I am very grateful for this epiphany and feel good about carrying on with a more resolved focus. We need to be strong and committed to what we know as the future unfolds. I want to be prepared and not fearful, and a shift in how I deal with the day-to-day stresses in our life will get me moving in the right direction.




2 comments:

allypally said...

I am DYING to hear how it went. I have been seething with not-quite-jealousy all week, wishing I was up there! So I am waiting for your blog posts!!!

Sheryl Mosher said...

You are so right. What a wonderful chance to renew your mind and spirit. I'm happy you got to get away and just breathe. All the things we deal with for and because of our children are important, but sometimes they overwhelm us so that we don't see the path ahead. I am there often. Thank you for the reminder that God is at work always even when it doesn't seem clear. :)