Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Day & Gratitude

The best we could get going for Saint Patrick's Day was two of us wearing some green to church.  I know, right?  I think the Sunday holiday just threw me, and I came up a little short this year.  Oh well.  Heather did back us a cake after church, all by herself, and she decorated it for St. Patrick's Day.  We called it good.  Thanks Heather!

For family night, which we've been doing on Sunday because of Monday night sports, I taught a lesson about gratitude based on Henry B. Eyring's talk, "The Choice to Be Grateful."  He challenged the youth to make a list of 100 things they were grateful for and suggested they accomplish this by using ten categories with ten items in each.  We got out our white board and used categories I had pre-chosen.  Everyone was having fun shouting out their items, and our list filled up in no time.  In December, I had made Gratitude Journals for my girls, but they didn't really take off with the concept right away.  We re-intoduced them pointing out that if we could think of 100 items in one sitting, five a day should be a piece of cake.  I got out the Gratitude Journal I had started in 2008 and read an entry which they enjoyed hearing.  The lesson was a success.  Heather doesn't enjoy writing as much, but she used drawings and speech bubbles for her first entry.  Jenna did the five items and elaborated on two which we had talked about doing if you feel like it.  Her entry astounded me (she wanted me to read it).  I love it when the kids catch on and run with it!






No comments: