Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Insanity

Jenna on her "crazy hair day" last week is a great model for this post.  I hope never to know insanity in the literal sense, but figuratively, I know it well.  During my self-imposed sequestering at home today and tomorrow, I am going to work in my home catching up on the various neglected tasks that have been waiting for me to stop being busy long enough to pay attention.  I will also be meditating and remembering how important my job at home is.  I pulled the following quote off Kathy's blog from the other day.  I loved these words when I first heard them.  It is just the kind of spiritual snack I need today as I resist all of the good things there are out there calling to me.  I need to be at home, in my home, blessing my home so that I will have the energy to love my little monkeys and help them navigate and process their challenges.  A stressed out mom is not one that can influence their children very effectively, and this stressed out mom needs to be at home long enough to clean a toilet, gosh darn it.   Isn't it strange how a dirty toilet that you can't get to can drive you insane?  Figuratively speaking, of course. 

Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord’s kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power. 

1 comment:

Katie said...

wow, I LOVE that quote Melissa. I am so stealing that to put on my blog. I needed to read that today. I'm currently reading a great book about parenting right now called Secrets Of A Happy Life by David O McKay. It's an older book, but a wonderful read. He talks about the roles of mothers and their influences in the mom.

You're an awesome Mom!