Monday, May 11, 2009

No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Tonight's Family Home Evening was centered around the scripture found in Doctrine & Covenants 132:8, the gist of which says, "Mine house is a house of order. It is not a house of confusion." Doh.

We discussed what this meant, and the hub was so great at stepping up to guess where I was going with everything. I hadn't told him what I was doing exactly because I didn't really know. I just knew we couldn't go one more week without some order.

The girls will keep their jobs they've had with a similar reward system, but now they will have a set amount of cash available to them each week (we're starting with $3 each) that is theirs to keep as long as they don't have any "violations." Free money! Woo-hoo! Momma has been at vomit level with the reminders and nags necessary to get things accomplished. Now the girls will be responsible for their jobs. Everything is printed out and hanging on their bedroom door, and they know exactly what they need to do. In a way, we've been practicing for this crackdown. Each violation will be worth ten cents and will be deducted from the three dollars of free money they can get each week. What they will be unprepared for is that I am going to be tough. I haven't been tough enough (apparently). I expect the first week or so to find them quite poor on pay day, however, they are smart girls, and I think they'll catch on quick.

I am hoping to find more peace in the process and have more emotional energy to keep track of my own messes. Nagging and tracking takes a lot out of me. I don't want the girls to grow up only remembering that their mom was a task master. I want to play with them and have fun with them, not be worried about whose shoes I just tripped over, ya know?

We'll see what happens.

3 comments:

~yoga~ said...

LOL!

It sounds like your house is alot like ours. What a great way to gear everyone the right direction...

Perhaps we will be next!
If you have a chance I would love to see the chart you make...

And good for you!
A house of order is a beautiful thing.

Love ya!!!

Kathy Habel said...

I'm so not tough either. I get tired of the whining and complaining so I just say fine go play you are done.

Britten said...

This sounds like a really good idea and I may have to implement something similar. We are gearing up to revamp our chore/reward/punishment system so I will keep this in mind.

Keep us updated on how it goes!