Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Spring Break We Never Had

Thanks to one possible case of Swine Flu at our elementary school, we are enjoying the Spring Break we never had.  During Spring Break, our girls were terribly ill with high fevers, and Heather ended up with Bronchitis.  For all I know, the Swine Flu could have been the culprit back in April.  At any rate, our school has been closed for 7 - 14 days to hopefully put the kibosh on the virus.  We've been instructed not to congregate with each other, and a softball league in our city has banned Moiola Elem students from participating until they are allowed back to school.   There were too many viruses floating around our school so in that respect I am glad to have everyone home and recovering.  I'm not quite sure banning well children from participating in their sports leagues is the brightest idea I've ever heard.


Which brings me to my next thought.  Ignorance.  I recently read a book which, although heart breaking at times, gave an excellent account of what it might have been like to be diagnosed with Leprosy before much was known about it.  I would recommend reading this book.  It is very well written.  Although the main character is fictional, the accounts given of what happened to her on her journey all happened to real people.  Other characters are based on actual people who lived on the island of Moloka'i.  I am just happy at this point that the government has not put any large signs in front of my house announcing that we have been exposed to SWINE FLU, and that no one has come to arrest my 9 and 7-year-olds to cart them off to a facility before sending them to an isolated island for the rest of their lives where their parents will never be allowed to touch them again.  Yep, it happened.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm totally going to have to add that book to my "to read" list.

I'm glad you get some quality time with your girls, though that stinks with the circumstances that allowed for this.

I know it's important to be well prepared for anything, but sometimes I think people take things far too seriously, like banning the kids from playing sports. There's going to be so many other viruses and diseases (and already are) that are going around that there's no cure for. People need to find that happy balance with living their lives and being prepared, not paranoid.

I'm glad you get a second spring break w/ the girls. Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

Kathy Habel said...

Enjoy your unexpected spring break.
As far as the swine flu goes my opinion is people are overreacting and just plain stupid in their response to it!