Saturday, May 30, 2009

What The Fritter?

While stopped at a traffic light this afternoon, I watched for several seconds as a homeless man walked along the sidewalk showing his sign to the drivers waiting at the light.  I noticed he looked a bit older, and I felt sorry for him.  As the light went green, I zeroed in on his sign.  It wasn't the usual "homeless" sign, but a "homeless veteran" sign.  That was all it took for my brain to get going.  Here's where it went.  Each thought is linked only by the "What the fritter?" theme.  They are not related to each other.  My husband sympathizes with anyone who attempts to follow this.  If he gets to the end of it himself, it will only be because he's had nearly 22 years of practice following my thought patterns.  Hang on for the ride...

Thought #1:  Why is there a Veteran of the United States standing on a street corner begging for money?  Shouldn't anyone who fights for our freedom in any capacity entitled to a comfortable home, food to eat and the basic necessities of life?  Couldn't this man at least have a bed??  We are a free nation because of men and women like him.  There shouldn't be one Veteran in this country without a home.  What is wrong with this picture??  Who takes care of them after war?  Especially those who have medical and extreme financial needs??

Thought #2:  What about our children?  Our school district just voted to adopt a 30:1 student ratio in grades 1 and 2.  Um, what happened to our children needing the best education we can provide?  Let's see how many little bodies and desks we can stuff in a room, and then see if they can all keep up when some still don't even know how to hold a pencil correctly.  This is so ridiculous I cannot even comment sufficiently.  It should be illegal for any member of a school board to serve if they have not already served a substantial number of hours in a classroom.In the middle of the fall.  When it's a hundred degrees and there isn't any air conditioning.  Oops. That's another thought altogether.

Thought #3:  Speaking of the value of education...How much money does a major league baseball player make in a year?  Some figure that has the word million in it if I remember correctly.  I'd like to see that figure next to that of an elementary school teacher's salary.   If teaching were viewed as the talent and skill that it is, I think the salary for a teacher would be substantially higher.  Can you just see one of us sitting down with the superintendent negotiating our salary because of our experience and skill?  Excuse me while I go have a hysterical fit of laughter.

Thought #4:  I am overwhelmed.  I want to change so many things, but I can't even get a spark of anything started on my own.  I don't want to give into "the big guy" or the force with all the power, but I see why people do.  It is exhausting to see so much wrong and try to figure out what we little people can do to change it.  My vote doesn't count.  Are you kidding me?  I go and vote because there are men and women fighting, as they have for generations, for my right to walk to a voting booth and cast a ballot.  It brings me comfort on election day to know that it is a freedom that we have.  But my vote won't count.  Where will it count?  When will it count? Maybe in a group of 7 where one vote can sway the decision?  Who knows.  I don't know if I have what it takes to be a leader.  I am a great support person, but being the leader is emotionally exhausting.

Thought #5:  What would it be like if women ran the country?  

Thought #6:  My hormones are having a fabulous party right now and wreaking havoc with my emotions.  Perhaps the bag of M&M's on my kitchen counter would come in handy at this point and stop the flood of thoughts.

Thought #7:  I should blog this mess, and I'll feel better getting this off my brain.

Thought #8:  Thanks for listening.  The M&M's are quite yummy.

7 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

Should I be laughing? Great thoughts and I hope you enjoyed your M&Ms. You deserve them!

Kathy Habel said...

To clarify - Just wondering if I should have been laughing because you started off serious and ended up with M&Ms. Made me laugh! We should have you run the country. We'd be much better off!

Katie said...

LOL---I hope you enjoyed those M&Ms. You deserved them. :)

Katie said...

Ok, I just thought of something and Kathy's comment made me think of this. You had this nice post about the things you thought of and ended w/ M&M's and then note that we left comments about the M&M's. Is there something wrong w/ that?!? HAHAHA

shari berry bo-berry said...

oh melissa i am SO in line with your thought process! in fact I am sure I have had that exact though pattern at least a thousand times before. it is infuriating.

i'm glad you got it off your chest...hopefully that and the m&ms helped a little!

~yoga~ said...

I thought that I was the only one who had that many thoughts in less than .1 seconds...

Such a wonderful thing. M&Ms...
To heal the wounded soul.

And could you imagine if we DID run the country. That would be, interesting!

Michelle Blair said...

Amen, sister!!